Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.
Personalized license plates
Vehicles that qualify:
- Motor home (annual registration only)
- 4,500, 6,000 or 8,000 pound gross weight including dual purpose farm and dual purpose motor home
- 12,000 pound gross weight farm truck
Things you should know:
- DMV customer service centers cannot process personalized plate applications. All applications for personalized plates must be mailed to the address below.
- A $15 personalized plate fee is required each year in addition to the regular annual registration fee. Motorcycles and farm trucks, which are renewed biennially, cost an additional $15 for each year of registration ($30 total).
- Visit Personalized Plate Lookup to find out if your choice for a personalized license plate is available.
- No refund or adjustment will be made for a change of choice or spacing after the plates are ordered, or if the application is unclear or incorrectly completed.
- WisDOT may refuse to issue, or may recall after issuance, a request that may be offensive to good taste or decency, misleading or conflicts with any other license plate.
- After you receive the Certificate of Registration, allow 4-6 weeks for the manufacturing and mailing process before the plates arrive.
- For more information, visit personalized and special plates FAQs.
How to apply:
- Print clearly and sign the application form MV2428
- Choose 1-7 characters (except for a motorcycle plate choose 1-5 characters).
- Use capital letters or numbers.
- Provide the meaning of your request, i.e., what does this represent?
- Make check or money order payable to: Registration Fee Trust
- Complete the vehicle information on form MV2428 if you want to have these plates ordered (not just reserved) at this time. If your plates are expiring within the next three months, also send the annual/biennial registration fee.
- If you just want to reserve a personalized plate message, complete the application, but omit the vehicle information and check Reserve Only Box. Send the application and $15. You will receive a confirmation notice with further instructions.
- Mail with payment to:
Wisconsin Department of Transportation
Special Plates Unit
P.O. Box 7911
Madison WI 53707-7911
Temporary plates required
To legally operate your vehicle, you must display license plates within two business days of purchase. If you do not have current plates, apply to a DMV customer center or an agent authorized by DMV to obtain a temporary plate while your personalized plate order is processed. An agent will charge a $3 plate fee and/or a service fee up to $5.
Changing from personalized to standard plates
If you later decide to re-register with standard license plates, send a copy of your Certificate of Registration or renewal notice with a request for standard plates. Include the regular registration fee if your plates will expire within the next three months. Subtract $15 from your annual personalized plate renewal fee if you are sending the change request with the renewal notice.
If you are checking to see if possible plate choices are available, provide the vehicle information also.
Questions? Contact us: Wisconsin DMV email service
Call: (608) 266-3041
Fax: (608) 267-5106
Last modified: July 13, 2011
All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.